For complete pricing on SPOT satellite communications devices, visit www.findmespot.ca. Save $50 instantly by using promo code “snowsafe” during check-out.
The Safe Riders! Program provides basic essentials about snowmobile safety and includes short quizzes to help test your knowledge about safe snowmobile practices. It is intended to supplement specific information provided by the province in which you register or ride your snowmobile. It is important to check local rules and requirements before riding.
Essentials of snowmobile safety covered by the Safe Riders! Program include:
- Being Prepared to Ride – proper layered riding clothing, eye protection, a safety certified helmet, gear to pack including personal items, safety equipment, tools and emergency kits; good trip planning practices, towing a trailer, common laws, a pre-ride checklist;
- Key Snowmobile Parts – key controls on your sled, importance of proper fluids and of reading the owner’s manual for your specific snowmobile;
- Riding Tips – starting your sled, riding positions, hand signals, common trail signs, riding in groups, with passengers, alone, in varying snow conditions, getting unstuck, night riding, towing and rider responsibilities;
- Surviving Emergencies – what to do if you become stranded, how to keep warm in changing terrain and weather conditions, basic principles on how to care for injuries;
- Dangers to Avoid – consideration of potential dangers like alcohol and impaired operating, speed and careless operation, roads and railroads, ice and avalanches and how to avoid them.
The Safe Riders! Snowmobile safety awareness program was produced through a partnership between the American Council of Snowmobile Associations (ACSA), the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association (ISMA), the International Association of Snowmobile Administrators (IASA) with financial assistance from the US Recreational Trails Program administered by the US Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). Visit the Safe Riders Snowmobile Awareness Program site for more information.
SPOT LLC, a subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc., provides affordable satellite communication and tracking devices for recreational and business use. SPOT messaging devices use both the GPS satellite network and the Globalstar satellite network to transmit and receive text messages and GPS coordinates. Since 2007, SPOT has provided peace of mind by allowing customers to remain in contact with family, friends and co-workers, completely independent of cellular coverage and has helped initiate over 7,000 rescues worldwide. For more information, visit www.FindMeSPOT.ca.